Search using this query type:

Advanced Search (Items only)

< Back

Bookstamp of Evelina de Rothschild Girls' School

bri_stp_bathayil_evelinaderothschildschoolforgirlsjerusalem_0695.jpg
bri_stp_bathayil_evelinaderothschildschoolforgirlsjerusalem_0695.jpg
bri_stp_bathayil_evelinaderothschildschoolforgirlsjerusalem_0694.jpg
bri_stp_bathayil_evelinaderothschildschoolforgirlsjerusalem_0694.jpg
bri_sib_bathayil_evelinaderothschildschoolforgirlsjerusalem_0693.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

Bookstamp of Evelina de Rothschild Girls' School

Subject

Evelina de Rothschild Girls' School (Jerusalem)

Description

This is the bookstamp of Evelina de Rothschild Girls' School (est. 1854), the first all-girls school in Palestine. It was originally founded by Dr. Albert Cohen in the Old City of Jerusalem and taught the students domestic trades, such as sewing and knitting.

In 1867, Baron Lionel de Rothschild of the famous English banking family began sponsoring the school. The school's name was changed in memory of his daughter Evelina, who died in 1866 while giving birth to her first child. Although the Anglo-Jewish Association assumed control of the school's administration in 1892, the baron continued to donate £800 annually.

In 1900, Annie Edith Landau became the school's principal and instituted significant changes. She emphasized the importance of a Jewish and secular education, so classes were taught in both English and Hebrew. Within a year the students were bilingual. Initially, Landau's efforts to provide a secular education for her students was met with great opposition from rabbis and religious parents, but it slowly subsided with the passing years (Landau strictly adhered to Orthodox teachings).

By 1913, the student population was 575. Girls studied a wide variety of subjects including sewing, literature, art, Torah, languages, and science. High achieving students sat for British examinations. Some students worked for the British Mandate government after graduating.

Miss Landau also instituted many charitable programs at the school to assist students and their families. A sewing center was established inside the school which paid a salary to its employees. Students were well cared for during the 1908 meningitis outbreak and were provided with a clean glass and handkerchief daily. Girls living in more dangerous areas were escorted home after class and orphans received meals and shoes from the school.

Landau briefly left the school from 1915 to 1918 after being exiled by the Turks, but was able to return by special permit issued by General Edmund Allenby. Many of Landau's students were starved after World War I and she provided them with food, clothes and dental care. Landau did the same for German Jewish refugees who arrived at the school in 1933 and fled the Nazi occupation.

The school relocated frequently – to Rehov Harav Kook in 1890, to Beit Mahanayim in 1895, and to the Ethiopian compound in the 1920s. It was moved back to Beit Mahanayim in the 1930s, but trouble at the border forced its relocation to Rehov Ussishkin in Rehavia sometime in the late 1940s or early 1950s, where it remains today. Landau worked as principal of the school until her death in January 1945.

Today the school has approximately 400 students and offers concentrations in Arabic, French, Spanish, physics, computer science, geography and music. Students also take part in various extracurricular activities including athletic competitions and mock UN conferences.

The bookstamp features the date and time the book was checked out. It appears in a book written specifically to instruct girls in the Bible. The book's cover features the name of the school stamped in blind with black ink.

Creator

Evelina de Rothschild Girls' School (Jerusalem)

Rights

Digital Image: Washington University in Saint Louis

Format

Ink

Language

English

Type

Bookstamp

Identifier

bri_stp_bathayil_evelinaderothschildschoolforgirlsjerusalem_0695.jpg
bri_stp_bathayil_evelinaderothschildschoolforgirlsjerusalem_0695.jpg
bri_stp_bathayil_evelinaderothschildschoolforgirlsjerusalem_0694.jpg
bri_stp_bathayil_evelinaderothschildschoolforgirlsjerusalem_0694.jpg
bri_sib_bathayil_evelinaderothschildschoolforgirlsjerusalem_0693.jpg
cat:Brisman-2013-08-26T06_26_53

Collection

Citation

Evelina de Rothschild Girls' School (Jerusalem), “Bookstamp of Evelina de Rothschild Girls' School ,” WUSTL Digital Gateway Image Collections & Exhibitions, accessed December 9, 2018, http://omeka.wustl.edu/omeka/items/show/6986.